Thursday, June 6, 2013

Week 7

I read the articles Not Just For Teens and The Next Big Thing. I liked several of the comments from NJFT like identifying what it is about YA fiction that makes them so appealing. I love that YA literature grabs me from the get go. I liked that both articles acknowledged that there are a lot of authors that are crossing over from adult fiction to YA fiction and it made me wonder why that is. Is it because a story came to them and the just had to get it down on paper or was it sheerly for the fact that they know there is money to be made in the YA arena. NJFT posed the question "Has Adult readership changed the writing and marketing of teen books?" This is an interesting question because YA literature is for young adults and should cater to them so should adult fiction change to meet the needs of adults who like to read YA? This question got me thinking and will probably be rattling around in my head for the next few days or so.
Posted on:
 - Sharon C - Booky
- Janet S - That All May Read

I will begin following John Green books and Forever Young Adult and report back on these in a week.

Little Brown Books for Teens - It looks like I'm not the only one excited about the Daughter of Smoke and Bone movie as it's front and center on the website. It also appears that book trailers are a big hit and it makes we wonder if we can somehow integrate these to our website or PAC. Strong female leads also seem like a major theme in the noted books and I love that!

Tor Teens - I checked out the coming soon books and though there were only four on the list 3 of the 4 are what I would consider Science Fiction or Fantasy. This trend seems to be the same with the recently released books. It also seems like there are a lot of books that are one in a series. Not number one, but a part of a series.

2 comments:

  1. Marketing YA novels to adults can be seen in the cover art for books. The Hunger Games trilogy recently was given a new cover in the UK for adults. Making cover art more neutral for customers, shows that these books can be geared towards adult and YA readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be interesting to see how both age groups respond to the different cover art. Are teens less apt to pick up a book with adult like cover art? I mean it stands to reason that if more adults pick up teen books based on neutral cover art that less teens could then pick up the same book.

    ReplyDelete