Thursday, June 13, 2013

Nonfiction

Reading Nonfiction for Pleasure - I liked the idea for displays in this article. I think it's a great idea to combine fiction and nonfiction as well as many different formats because if someone is browsing because they like the subject they may be inclined to pick something else up that they never knew they wanted.

Boarderlands - I like the idea of attracting attention to one or the other (fiction or nonfiction) by pairing them appropriately. I also liked the title and author suggestions that were given.

 E-Learning video - I thought this video was informative and I liked that he emphasized going back and forth between fiction and non-fiction for readers advisory.

Biography - Into the wild was in the biography section under McCandless. This book turned movie is written by John Krakauer who details the transformation of Christopher Johnson McCandless. Christopher came from a well off family and decided to travel to Alaska giving away all of his savings and burning what money he had in his wallet he hiked into the Alaskan wilderness to become closer to nature. The transformation and quest led to his untimely death. This story was so fascinating that it was turned into a movie by Paramount Vantage and Art Linson Productions.

Sports - Born to Run is written by Christopher McDougall and is located at 796.42 under the genre of sports. This book is McDougall's account of trying to locate a tribe of phenomenal distance runner to find out their secret to health and physical achievement. He was not only able to uncover some of their secrets, but was able to work toward meeting his own physical peak.

Medical - The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks is under the health genre and it's Dewey number is 616.027S. This is a book written about a woman from this area whose cells were harvested without her knowledge for the advancement of medicine. The author Rebecca Skloot spent a lot of time researching this book and getting to know and becoming close to the family of Henrietta, giving her a unique perspective on this story.
     I would recommend this book to people who like fiction that takes place in the area of the world as well as to those who are interested in medical related books such as Outbreak by Robin Cook or A Case of Need by Michael Crichton. There are also legal aspects to this book regarding the legality of using someone's cells without their permission and what right the family has to these cells and the profits from them. Regarding this aspect I may suggest this book to someone who liked something like Irreparable Harm by Randy Singer.

History - Bomb by Steve Sheinkin is located in the children's at 623.451S under the genre of Science and Technology. I have recently read this book and I couldn't put it down. The whole idea of this book is that it's a race to build the world's most dangerous weapon. There is espionage, science, war, covert operations, I mean it was a gripping book!
     I would recommend this book to any age group. It's in the children's nonfiction section and I know that could be offputting to some adults so it's possible that I would use it for ninja style RA and have the book in hand so that the patron couldn't see where it came from. I would recommend this to readers of books such as Ken Follett's Jackdaws or Elizabeth Wein's Code Name Verity because of the WWII and espionage aspects. If someone had enjoyed Einstein Enigma by Jose Rodrigues dos Santos I would suggest Bomb because they both contain some science, spies and espionage.

1 comment:

  1. I can't agree with you more on Bomb! I was amazed by that book -- I know quite a lot about WWII and the Manhattan Project and all, but this had a level of detail I hadn't expected, and was so compellingly written that, like you, I couldn't put it down.

    Excellent book on all accounts!

    ReplyDelete