Saturday, May 18, 2013

exploring goodreads

I have had a good time exploring good reads and I find that it's one of those site that I only intend on going into for a bit, but can seem to get out because something else catches my eye. I like the idea of setting up shelves of items that I have read and want to read because frequently I have a list in my head, but when it comes time to get a new book I can't remember most of them. I also like that the site makes recommendations for me and I have found that a lot of their recommendation look quite good. I have added a couple of my colleagues as friends and I like the feature that compares what you've read and that I can see how they rated those books.
For one of my colleagues I noticed that she enjoyed The Diary of Anne Frank, Night and these are both non-fiction books about people in a time of turmoil and struggling to get by. They made me think of the book,  First they killed my father because it is also a true story about a person in a time of turmoil within her county. In this book a young girl is forced to separate from most of her family and work as a child soldier in a work camp. She has to find her own way in this tragic and inspiring book.
With another of my colleagues I noticed that she is fan of Janet Evanovich and the Stephanie Plum series as well and they fall into the fluff shelf. Evanovich is great at mixing dysfunctional characters with humor and some action into a quick, light read. She also likes to use strong and independent female protagonists. I think you may enjoy the Skip Langdon series by Julie Smith because she also has a good way of mixing humor in with some mystery and action. The protagonist of this series is also a strong willed investigator.

No comments:

Post a Comment