Monday, April 22, 2013

Week 1

Assignment 1:
                  This quiz was fun and at the same time, frustrating. There were covers that I knew I know, but I couldn't for the life of me remember what they were. I thought it was interesting that there were children's book in the adult quiz. Just goes to show that some of us stay young at heart.

Assignment 2:
                  This assignment was a lot easier than the first to, but it makes a good point. I think that we see enough materials that after a while you can get to predict fairly accurately what genre and even subgenera a book is be looking at the cover. I don't mean this to say that you can suggest books to people based solely on this, but can be a place to start at times.

 Assignment 3:
                   I agree with all of the 12 golden rules of RA. My favorite point was in the beginning with the quote by Rosenburg I sometimes feel silly for reading some of the things I read. I was reading Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew for genre boot camp and I felt like everyone walking by was like "What??" The fact is though that regardless of what I'm reading, it all helps me provide readers advisory for someone in the future. All books also offer a different perspective and are valuable in many ways.

Assignment 4:
                  I have decided to go with Early Word because I like the layout and the filters on the left hand side. I will also read Urban reviews because this is a genre I know almost nothing about and a good portion of the circulating items at Sollers Point are Urban Fiction. I feel like reading reviews in this genre will enable me to better help our patrons.

Assignment 5:
                  I thought this was cute and it made me think of the little ones that come into SO because sometimes a five or six year old will see a chapter book with a pretty or dynamic cover and select it. It may be a book that is far too advanced for them, but because of the cover they decided that without a doubt they need this book. This just makes me think that sometimes the cover designers know what they are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment